Re-launching the Flip Factory
We’ve implemented a number of measures to help safeguard our participants, parents and guardians and our staff.
Since its inception in 2007, the Flip Factory organization has expected staff to maintain a high level of cleanliness throughout the facility. It is part of each team member’s job description to clean before, during and at the end of each shift. Moreover, because we have a café on the premises, Alberta Health regularly checks in on the Flip Factory to ensure not only the café, but the entire facility is maintained to a very high standard.
Flip Factory has also been a forerunner in the industry, replacing our foam filled pit with an airbag pit 5 years ago. One of the guidelines mandated for the re-launch of gymnastic clubs across the province was to eliminate foam filled pits.
Flip Factory’s physical layout encourages physical distancing. Our facility is divided into a number of distinctly separate training spaces:
- A raised platform space for our trampolines, tumble track and airbag pit separated with plexi-glass railings
- A large floor space in the Flip Factory Gym
- A large floor space in the Performance Gym
- A self contained dance studio
- An upper level mezzanine space which is further divided into a play space and a multi-purpose training space
- 4 separate indoor eating spaces
- If weather permits, we block off the front parking area so that kids can eat in a large outdoor space with socially distanced benches and picnic tables
Other measures we have implemented at Flip Factory include:
- Dedicated entrances and exits
- Sanitizing stations at entrances, exits and throughout the facility
- Clearly marked pathways to encourage one way traffic
- Daily health screenings of all staff and participants
- Staff wear face masks
- Parents must wear face masks when dropping off or picking up their children
- Each individual participant has one designated drop off point for all of their belongings (jacket, shoes, socks, backpack, lunch and snacks)
- Each individual group does not exceed 6 participants and no more than 2 groups (12 kids) and 2 coaches per cohort
- Coaches spray participants’ hands and feet with a 70% alcohol sanitizer. The sanitizer also contains aloe vera which is a bit easier on the skin
- Staff spray down mats after each individual group finishes their rotation at an event
- Interior and exterior markings to encourage social distancing
- Staggered snack and lunch breaks
- We open our front doors and bay doors for maximum ventilation
- Staff wipe down common areas on a regular basis throughout the day
Most importantly, we would ask that our members stay home if exhibiting any symptoms:
- Shortness of breath
- Have been in contact with an individual who has COVID
- Self isolate for 14 days if you or someone in your household has travelled outside of Canada
We will continue to monitor recommendations by the Government of Alberta, Government of Canada, En Piste (national governing body for circus arts in Canada), Sport Calgary and the Alberta Gymnastics Federation. If you have any questions or recommendations about Flip Factory’s re-launch guidelines and protocols, do not hesitate to email: Darlene@flip-factory.com or contact our office: 403-265-2656
It has been a crazy time for everyone and I hope that you and those close to you have remained healthy and optimistic. I apologize for the amount of time between updates. It has been a roller coaster ride with not knowing from one day to the next what the future has in store for the Flip Factory. We are finally at a place where plans to re-open our gym can start to take shape.
Summer camps will commence on July 6 and be offered throughout the summer. Our fall program line-up will be posted shortly.
Refunding members who registered for spring break camps, spring session classes and birthday, sleep-over or group bookings, has been at the forefront of my mind. Flip Factory has business interruption insurance to cover such an event. Unfortunately our insurer is balking. With the help of legal counsel, I am optimistic that a payout is forth coming and thus, refunds will be forth coming. Over the next week I will be contacting all members who have paid for programs which were cancelled.
Between now and July 6 we will be planning for our summer camps, making modifications to the facility and re-hiring staff in preparation for the re-launch of programs. I am optimistic that we can continue to offer programs that captivate, excite and challenge our members for many more years to come in what is now ‘the new normal’.
A detailed outline of the protocol for safeguarding our members and staff will be posted shortly. If you have any questions in the meantime, do not hesitate to email me: firstname.lastname@example.org or phone me at the gym: 403-265-2656.
Thank you for your continued understanding and support for Flip Factory.